Being a French expat in the U.S. for a very long time now gave me some retrospectives of what the concept of Parisian Chic may be and the reasons why foreigners are so drawn into it. I didn’t get why it has become such a celebrated perception until my recent frequent trips to Europe made me realized a thing or two about me…
1. Attempts to conceal my French accent will always be a miserable failure so I have just given up all at once (dammit I actually dreamed that I someday would become a ‘real’ American accent-free but that’s never gonna happen for me because the more I go back home the worst the accent gets to my disappointment and well also I’m too French to be polite …)
2. Ok so we gather that no one needs to get that accent to be a Parisian Chic. In fact, Inès de la Fressange, author of Parisian Chic book who is from St Tropez said that ‘you don’t need to be born in Paris to have Parisian style’ then what is Parisian Chic? How do we recognize her from afar?
3. I noted that Parisian Chic has actually little to do with wearing une marinière strolling around in Chanel ballerinas and eating croissants pour le petit-dej and ordering a glass of red wine at lunch time (I am not describing myself I swear!)
4. But I think it has a lot to do with the way she moves, how she carries herself in life, her savoir-faire, and most importantly her spirit.
5. Bonus point 1: she never wants to appear to look perfect but rather makes sure to act perfectly adjusting to situations and making people around her feel great (or total crap well it depends on the situation as I said) and… Bonus point 2: What a Flirty woman with a capital F!!! No shame, it’s in the culture…
This was kind of fun, wasn’t it? So in my attempt to depict and understand her, the Parisian Chic woman… a brand new project is being created, which can be found in the Discover pull out tab all the way to the top of this blog. Found it?!
There, I will take a shot at gathering notes (feel free to join me) with the attempt to understand who is this impeccable insouciant woman admired by many around the globe… all in all to answer the question of what is the Parisian Chic concept about. To do so, I am planning on creating a Parisian glossary beginning with the letter A. A stands for Attitude 🙂
See you soon to find out more! Enjoy the rest of the week everyone.
Oh and before I forget, check out this cute video by Vogue on 5 Tips to Be the Perfect French Woman with model Aymeline Valade here. Enjoy!